Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from my aunt who found it I believe on lowcarbfriends.com. She had started Atkins and has lost 93 pounds so far...well, I just started Atkins and found this recipe to be one of my favorite quick meals.... and I didn't like tuna that much before!
- 1 (170 g) canof flaked tuna in water
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 slice tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup medium white mushroom (chopped or sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons butter, to saute with
- walnuts (optional)
- almonds (optional)
- pecans (optional)
- herbs (optional)
- bacon (optional)
- chicken (optional)
- Mix the can of tuna with mayonnaise, salt and pepper and any other herbs or seasonings you`d like to add, walnuts taste good in it too- Be creative and have fun with it.
- Put tuna mixture aside.
- Cut a slice of your tomato and set aside.
- Over medium- low heat, sauté the sliced mushrooms in olive oil until slightly crisp- I sometimes add left over chicken or a slice or 2 of bacon to the sauté for variety.
- Once the mushrooms are sautéed arrange them into a tidy little circle and place the tuna and mayo mixture very carefully onto the center of the mushroom platform- If you haven`t realized by now-- the mushrooms replace your bread.
- Then place the tomato slice on top of the tuna and mayo, top it all off with cheese, reduce heat slightly, and cover for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Carefully, with the aid of a flexible spatula, slide the tuna melt onto your plate- or a leaf of lettuce on your plate and enjoy.
- Only 3 and a half carbs for the whole meal-- and it`s filling.
- You can use other types of cheese and mushrooms or even more tomato, but take the carbs into account- some cheeses are higher than others and the same for veggies too.
Terrific!!! I've made it twice so far. I added dry mustard to the tuna mixture and to the mushroom saute. I sliced the mushrooms in the food processor ahead of time.Pecans are incredible in the mushroom saute. I can see how this can be very versatile. My husband Dan, really like this. Thanks!!! LisaJo