Recipe by Mercy
The secret to this wonderful recipe is the orange soda! Serve with sauteed chinese vegetables or steamed bok choy. Pork may be substituted for the chicken.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb boneless chicken, cut up
- 1 cup white onion (you can leave the chunks big so you can pick them out)
- 12 ounces diet orange soda (Diet Rite Tangerine works great)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken and onions in a non-stick pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- When chicken is brown, add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- Uncover and reduce liquid until it makes a syrupy sauce.
- A little arrowroot powder may be added to thicken the sauce, if desired.