Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nothing defines the holiday season like a nice cup on hot chocolate or as my family called it cocoa. A lot of people don't realize the amazing health benefits of cocoa. A recent study has found that cocoa is rich in powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants can protect you against a range of diseases and reduce the effects of aging.
- In a saucepan, combine cocoa, Steviva Brand Stevia Blend, Fructevia or Steviva Brand Stevia Powder, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt.
- Blend in hot water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add milk; stir and heat thoroughly, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Beat until foamy.
- Serve hot with cinnamon sticks, if desired.
It looks delicious, but as with most 'low carb' recipes for hot chocolate, it really isn't. 11.5 net carbs is more than half my daily intake.
I have very recently discovered that I'm not a Stevia fan and gone back to Splenda. Yes, I know, chemicals but it works for me. I used dark Double Dutch cocoa and less salt than ask for. The spices are wonderful and the method of mixing with some water first works wonderfully. For the milk I used fat free evaporated milk and ended up with a gorgeous rich, thick and lovely cocoa. Made for Comfort Cafe, Jan 09.