Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love these!! Very low carb! Tastes just like Grandma used to make.
Make and share this Low Carb Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head green cabbage, 2lb
For the Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) canof peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar twin brown sugar substitute
Ground Beef filling
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground round
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Quaker Oats
- Prepare the sauce.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until soft and lightly browned.
- Break up the tomatoes with your hands and add to pan with the juice, canned tomato sauce, and Sugar Twin. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot,and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the cabbage:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cut core from cabbage and place into water.
- As leaves become softened, remove and place in colander.
- Prepare the filling:.
- Place all filling ingredients into a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Assemble the cabbage rolls:.
- Take a large cabbage leaf and carefully cut out the large stiff vein at the base.
- Place about 1/3 cup of filling near stem end of leaf.
- Mold the filling to a log shape with your hands.
- Fold sides of leaf over filling, then roll up and set aside seam side down.
- Repeat until all filling is used up.
- Tear up some of the remaining leaves to line a baking pan.
- Place rolls seam side down in pan.
- Pour sauce over all. Cover with more torn leaves.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake about 45 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in roll reaches 180°F.
Super yummy for those cutting carbs, or anybody for that matter. I'm so surprised that I'm the first to review/rated this recipe. I was dying for stuffed cabbage that didn't include rice, as I'm following the South Beach diet. This recipe is perfect!! The only tweak I added was to throw in about 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning with the sauce mixture. Used 90 percent lean ground beef, and will try with ground turkey also. Thank you for giving me a great solution for an old family favorite!!