Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great casserole for anyone on a Low Carb diet. It has tons of flavor and you'll never miss the rice! When I can spare the extra carbs, I saute the cabbage in butter with about 1/4 cup chopped onion rather than boiling it. Or I add a little onion powder to the browned beef.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small cabbage (about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chop cabbage, and place in a dutch oven.
- Cover with water and boil 2o minutes or until tender.
- Brown ground beef and drain well.
- Mix cabbage and beef together.
- Place 1/3 of meat mixture in a 13x9x2 baking dish.
- Top with 1/3 can of tomatoes.
- Top with 1/3 cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers 2 times, making 3 layers in all.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
I found this to be rather dry, with little flavor other than the meat. I would not recommend a 9x13 dish, I had a hard time getting two layers to cover the pan, I would suggest an 8x8. The low carbs are nice, and it was filling, just not very flavorful.
I was looking for an easy low-carb recipe and found this. It is sooo good - very surprising for only 4 ingredients! I used extra sauce (about 20 ounces crushed tomatoes with basil) and extra cheese. We thought it was very flavorful and satisfying. Thanks for posting this recipe!
We found this to be a little bland. I will make it again using tomato sauce and adding some italian seasoning and garlic. It was very watery - not sure how to prevent that. All in all, we liked it and will make again with our changes. Thanks for a hearty low carb main dish.