This is a recipe I came while trying to put together a good low carb stuffed pepper. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 green peppers (cleaned with seeds and tops removed)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion (chopped fine)
- 3 garlic cloves (small to medium sized minced)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped fine)
- 2 tablespoons green peppers (minced)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (1/4 cup of liquid reserved)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning, blend
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion softens.
- Add green onions, minced green pepper and saute for about five minutes.
- Set onion, garlic and green pepper mixture aside.
- Brown ground turkey and cook through.
- Add onion, garlic, and green pepper mixture. Also, add diced tomatoes, parsley, italian seasoning, and season salt/blend.
- Mix well and cook another five minutes.
- Stuff mixture inside hollow green peppers.
- Pour reserved tomato liquid in a baking dish and place peppers in dish.
- Top each stuffed pepper with about a tablespoon of pizza sauce.
- Mound each pepper with cheeses.
- Cook in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
Absolutely delicious! I am in the transition from vegetarian to a ketogenic diet, and this was a great way to start off. Great flavor, the meat wasn't dry at all. Two suggestions- Don't add the extra seasoning salt. I didn't, and it tasted just salty enough with the other seasonings. Also, cut the bell peppers in half, and stuff the halves instead of a big pepper. It makes the bell pepper easier to eat, and if you're not as hungry you can have a smaller meal. Overall, a great low-carb meal!
Made this the other day to use many leftover ingredients I had on hand. It had a really great flavor! I made a couple of small adjustments to the recipe to use what I had. I used Fri Diablo pasta sauce instead of pizza sauce, and added a little bit of Pomi strained tomato to the mixture before filling the peppers as I like things a little more saucy. The green peppers seemed a little to firm for me when cooked as instructed - next time I will precook them a little in the microwave to soften before filling. None the less - still a great recipe!
My husband said these were the best peppers he ever ate, and we have had many through the years. First of all, I did not use 4 peppers since there are only 2 of us. I had some huge ones in my garden, so split 2 of them. Used grass fed ground beef, and instead of pizza sauce, used tomato sauce (small can) in which I made homemade pizza sauce (basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper). This is what I added to the top of the peppers. Then topped with mixture of cheddar/mozarella, pre shredded. Spices I kept as specified. Also baked for much longer than specified, about 45 minutes to an hour, which I think helped to meld the flavors. They were perfect, and the peppers were still firm and not soggy. Served with low carb mashed potatoes as DH is diabetic. Definitely will be making again! Thanks for this wonderful recipe!