Recipe by ChefTraylee
This is a recipe I came while trying to put together a good low carb stuffed pepper. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by kangaroofish
Absolutely delicious! I am in the transition from vegetarian to a ketogenic diet, and this was a great way to start off. Great flavor, the meat wasn't dry at all. Two suggestions- Don't add the extra seasoning salt. I didn't, and it tasted just salty enough with the other seasonings. Also, cut the bell peppers in half, and stuff the halves instead of a big pepper. It makes the bell pepper easier to eat, and if you're not as hungry you can have a smaller meal. Overall, a great low-carb meal!
- 4 green peppers (cleaned with seeds and tops removed)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion (chopped fine)
- 3 garlic cloves (small to medium sized minced)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped fine)
- 2 tablespoons green peppers (minced)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (1/4 cup of liquid reserved)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning, blend
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion softens.
- Add green onions, minced green pepper and saute for about five minutes.
- Set onion, garlic and green pepper mixture aside.
- Brown ground turkey and cook through.
- Add onion, garlic, and green pepper mixture. Also, add diced tomatoes, parsley, italian seasoning, and season salt/blend.
- Mix well and cook another five minutes.
- Stuff mixture inside hollow green peppers.
- Pour reserved tomato liquid in a baking dish and place peppers in dish.
- Top each stuffed pepper with about a tablespoon of pizza sauce.
- Mound each pepper with cheeses.
- Cook in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.