Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe I created and it has become one of my favorite low carb breakfasts. For the salsa, try and find one as low in in carbs as possible (many have added sugar). I use Pace Chunky Salsa, which only has 1 net carb per two tablespoons. Usually, I serve bacon on the side and use the bacon drippings for the frittata but you could cook and add bacon or a little bulk sausage to this recipe. Pre-cooking the jalapenos kills some of their heat so if you have mild jalapenos to start with you might want to add a pinch or two of cayenne.
- Preheat the broiler to 500 degrees. Move the oven rack to the top.
- Saute the jalapenos and mushrooms in a skillet with some bacon grease or cooking oil over medium heat until mushrooms begin to brown,.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, cream, and salsa together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and tilt skillet so the egg mixture coats the pan evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Put under the broiler for 1-4 minutes until cheese is bubbly and fritatta poufs slightly and pulls away from edges of pan.
- Cut in half and serve with sour cream!