Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Reviewed many chicken enchilada recipes claiming to be low carb recipes and found many had more carbohydrates than anticipated. Hit the jackpot when I fixed this in my kitchen! Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup raw red bell pepper
- 1 quart low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon mesquite liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 3 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat covered pot.
- Soften 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper in pot sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add chicken stock.
- Add seasonings: chili, cumin, garlic, liquid smoke and cilantro to broth.
- Add chicken to broth and bring to simmer.
- In a bowl, place can of diced tomatoes with chilies (and juice) to 2 cups of water. With immersion blender, smooth to puree. Then add to soup pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until flavors meld.
- Spoon into warm soup bowls.
- Top with cheddar/jack cheese.
- May top with sour cream if preferred.
- If needing a low carb crunch, consider a few pork rinds.
Yummy, yummy. It's Mexican minestrone! Of course I fiddled with it, adding some beans and a few tomatillos and chopped celery, a carrot or two, because I had all that and it was 'clean out the 'fridge day.' This was a real hit with Mr. Wonderful and the house smelled terrific while it simmered in the slow cooker. Note to those shy about the Liquid Smoke: once the vegetables cook and the flavors meld, it's subtle and adds a nice element to the soup. This one 'stays in the rotation' ---Thanks for posting!
My family loved this soup! I was a bit afraid of 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, so I used only 1/2 instead. It has a wonderful flavor. I WILL make this again.