Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Reviewed many chicken enchilada recipes claiming to be low carb recipes and found many had more carbohydrates than anticipated. Hit the jackpot when I fixed this in my kitchen! Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup raw red bell pepper
- 1 quart low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon mesquite liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 3 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat covered pot.
- Soften 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper in pot sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add chicken stock.
- Add seasonings: chili, cumin, garlic, liquid smoke and cilantro to broth.
- Add chicken to broth and bring to simmer.
- In a bowl, place can of diced tomatoes with chilies (and juice) to 2 cups of water. With immersion blender, smooth to puree. Then add to soup pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until flavors meld.
- Spoon into warm soup bowls.
- Top with cheddar/jack cheese.
- May top with sour cream if preferred.
- If needing a low carb crunch, consider a few pork rinds.
Yummy, yummy. It's Mexican minestrone! Of course I fiddled with it, adding some beans and a few tomatillos and chopped celery, a carrot or two, because I had all that and it was 'clean out the 'fridge day.' This was a real hit with Mr. Wonderful and the house smelled terrific while it simmered in the slow cooker. Note to those shy about the Liquid Smoke: once the vegetables cook and the flavors meld, it's subtle and adds a nice element to the soup. This one 'stays in the rotation' ---Thanks for posting!
My family loved this soup! I was a bit afraid of 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, so I used only 1/2 instead. It has a wonderful flavor. I WILL make this again.