Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Strands of spaghetti squash are tossed with a cooked mixture of Italian sausage, onion, sweet peppers and spaghetti sauce. The mixture is piled back into the squash shells and sprinkled with grated cheese to bake.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) spaghetti squash
- 16 ounces Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds. Place squash, cut side up, in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with vented microwave-safe plastic wrap; cook on high for 7-10 minutes, depending on size. Add more cooking, 1 minute at a time, if necessary. Let stand 5 minutes. With fork "comb" out strands. Do not discard shell. Saute sausage, bell peppers, onion, garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage browns and vegetables are tender. Mix in spaghetti sauce and dried oregano or Italian spices. Mix squash strands with sausage mixture. Spoon filling into squash shells. Place filled squash shells on baking sheet. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake uncovered until heated through, about 20 minutes.
We loved this recipe!!! I did not have Italian sausage so I used ground beef. I also baked my squash in the oven instead of microwaving, just a personal preference. I really love all the onions and peppers in this recipe really gives this a great flavor!!! When I stuffed the squash mixture back into the shells I added a layer of squash mixture with Parmesan cheese with more squash mixture and cheese. Next time I want to try Mozzarella cheese. This will be a keeper used many times because of its Deliciousness and ease to prepare. Thanks!!!