Recipe by mary winecoff
I made this for my best friend's birthday. She is on a low-carb diet but I was also cooking for kids and men (A challenge!) I had NO leftovers. This came from a Bon Appetit magazine. Very easy and very good.
Top Review by ginross12
Low carb diets do not include the rice and bread shown in the picture. If you are doing a low carb dish provide items other than high carb forbidden foods. The sausage also unless of a specific nitrate free source is forbidden. Disappointed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled,deveined,shells reserved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 12 ounces fully cooked andouille sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shrimp shells; saute until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Mix in tomato paste.
- Add broth, then brandy, garlic and thyme.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain into medum saucepan; pressing on solids.
- Add cream; simmer until sauce is reduce to 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in another heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shrimp; saute just until cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Add sausage and onion to skillet; cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and Old Bay seasoning; saute 3 minutes.
- Return shrimp to skillet.
- Add sauce and bring to simmer.
- Sprinkle with parsley.