Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally a Dana Carpenter recipe modified a bit with less cream cheese, cheese and butter. Absolutely delicious and pretty easy to throw together! My Dad was not one bit fooled by the "Grits" and since he doesn't like veggies he didn't eat that part. He loved the shrimp but DH and I loved the entire dish!
Mock Cheese Grits
- 24 ounces frozen cauliflower (or 1 head of fresh)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup white cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces chopped bacon
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 ounces thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (about 4 tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- Cheese "grits":.
- Steam or microwave the cauliflower until it’s soft. Drain it thoroughly, and put it through the blender or food processor until it’s well pureed.
- Add the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the pureed cauliflower, cream cheese, cheddar, Parmesan, and black pepper in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth.
- Put chopped bacon in a skillet. Brown bacon and add mushrooms, tomatoes, lemon juice, garlic, and wine. Simmer until mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just done. Serve over grits.