Recipe by JayPslp
From Shrinking Kitchen. Carbs are reduced by using a combination of potatoes and cauliflower for the top. I've also made with all cauliflower and it's delicious. Slightly different texture, but so yummy.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small diced onion
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 10 button mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower, rinsed and cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon light cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes and cauliflower in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Boil the cauliflower and potatoes till fork tender, drain.
- Put the drained potato and cauliflower back into the cooking pot and place back over heat (this will allow excess water to evaporate while you mash the vegetables).
- Add the cream cheese and butter, and mash well. A few lumps are fine. Go with your preference.
- Salt and pepper the pototo/cauliflower mash to taste and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots and saute for a few minutes till the onions are softened.
- Add the ground beef and brown while breaking up with a spatula.
- When the beef is nearly brown, add the mushrooms. Cook until soft, then add the peas.
- Add the flour and mix into the beef mixture.
- When the flour is well incorporated, add the beef broth and bring to a simmer while stirring. The mixture will thicken.
- Spoon the meat mixture equally into four ramekins.
- Top with meat mixture with the potato/cauliflower mixture.
- Sprinkle lightly with low fat cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until bubbling at the edges and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then dig in!