Recipe by One Happy Woman
That's right, sausage chowder. And don't knock it until you've tried it. As usual with most of my recipes, it's quite flexible.
- 3⁄4 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the head of cauliflower, break it up and retain the stems.
- Steam the cauliflower in the microwave until the stems pierce easily with the point of a knife.
- When cooled a bit, puree this with a stick blender.
- Meanwhile: saute the onion and celery with the sausage in a soup pot, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and seasonings and simmer until the celery is soft.
- Add the Neufchatel cheese, sour cream and the cauliflower and heat until the Neufchatel is melted.
- Vary the amount of broth according to how thick you like your chowder and how big the cauliflower head is. I have used chicken broth and added leftover cooked chicken, or added other chopped vegetables and made it with vegetable stock powder and water.