Recipe by brittneymuller1214_12072327
Having been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, I have had to improvise some rather creative dinners. This was one I threw together one night on a whim, and it turned out great!
Top Review by Ashley G.
Found this recipe while looking for a low carb version of eggplant parmesan. Made the first batch following the recipe pretty closely except I used my own favorite homemade sauce, but it actually turned out too watery for the finished product. The flavor c ame out pretty good & even my hubs liked it. The amount of mozzarella seemed a bit excessive to me, but next time I make this dish, I plan to spread half of the mozzarella beneath the marinara and the other half above it.
- 1 -2 large eggplant
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 cup no-sugar-added marinara sauce (your choice)
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese or 1 cup Italian cheese blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Dice the two eggplants into approximately one inch cubes. (Peeling the eggplant first is a personal preference; I don't.) Toss the eggplant cubes with 2-4 Tbsp of olive oil; add salt and pepper to taste. Spread into a single layer on a baking sheet and pop into preheated oven. Roast until eggplant is tender and beginning to brown, 15-20 minutes.
- When eggplant is done roasting, pull out of the oven and top with crushed red pepper (if using), tomato sauce, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese. Place back in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown slightly. Serve with salad.