Prep2 hrs 20 mins
When I saw Kathleen Daelemans making these on her FoodTV "Cooking Thin" show, I was pretty excited! As anyone who has eaten a lower carb menu knows, we do miss our bread and pasta dishes. But here's a gnocchi that's much lower in carbs, lower in fat, but not low in taste! Prep time includes chilling.
- Place the ricotta in a large bowl and whip it to break up the curd, then add the egg and stir well to incorporate.
- Add the Parmesan and salt and mix well.
- Place the flour in a large shallow dish, then use teaspoons to make oval-shaped gnocchi of about 1/2 teaspoon dough at a time and drop them into the flour (don't let the gnocchi touch each other or they'll stick).
- Drop 6 gnocchi into the flour, then coat them lightly by rolling the plate; carefully dust excess flour off the gnocchi and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and repeat process until all the gnocchi are made.
- Place gnocchi in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until they're firm - you can refrigerate them overnight, but they're better eaten the same day as they're prepared.
- Cook the gnocchi by simmering them in salted boiling water or chicken broth, they'll float to the top and you can remove them when they're done to your preference (original recipe called for removal at this point of 3-4 minutes, but I found they needed more simmering and left them in for 7-9 minutes); remove with a slotted spoon.
- These go well with sautéed peas in butter and sage, or your favorite pasta sauce, and shavings of Parmesan.