Have all the taste and texture of traditional maki sushi rolls but with way fewer carbs and no rice! This recipe utilizes vegetables in an interesting way in place of the sushi rice. I came up with this recipe as I love sushi but am cutting back on my carbohydrate intake. Sashimi was always an option, but sometimes you want more than just plain fish! Feel free to experiment with different fillings and combinations. The recipe below will provide 2 of each of the three versions of riceless sushi. However, the zucchini can be mixed with the carrots for a combo. The pureed cauliflower versions can also be kicked up with a hit of wasabi pureed in the mix. Have fun with this!
My Private Note
sushi r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 6 sheets toasted nori, seaweed wrappers
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mirin or 2 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 pieces smoked salmon or 3 pieces marinated shiitaki mushrooms or 3 pieces sushi grade tuna or 3 pieces shrimp or 3 pieces crab or 3 pieces imitation crabmeat
- 1Grate the carrots and zucchini but keep them separated. Mix the sesame oil, mirin and sesame seeds and drizzle 1/2 over the zucchini and 1/2 over the carrots. Toss until the veggies are coated. Set aside.
- 2Boil the cauliflower until very, very tender. Drain. Puree. Set aside.
- 3Place a sheet of nori on bamboo sushi roller mat or piece of plastic wrap. Place the grated carrot, zucchini, OR pureed cauliflower on about 1/2 of the nori sheet. Then lay out fillings of choice on top of the vegetables. Once filled, roll into a tube, seal edges with a bit of water and then slice each roll into 6 slices.
- 4Suggestions for combinations: Grated carrot w/ marinated shiitaki mushrooms, Grated zucchini and carrot w/ crab and avocado, Pureed cauliflower w/ salmon (I mix wasabi in with the cauliflower puree for extra flavour), Grated carrot w/ shrimps, zucchini, avocado and crab, Cauliflower puree w/ shiitaki mushroom and grated carrot, zucchini w/ smoked salmon and green onion.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Carb Riceless Maki Sushi Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.8
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: