Recipe by rememberingraven
This is such a warm and hearty, low carb soup. I would love to give credit for this recipe to my fellow low carbing message board friends.
Top Review by Marysdottir
Made this last night with a few changes and everyone loved it. It is very thick and rich even without the cream, maybe because I added 1/3 of a can of coconut milk I had leftover from another recipe and my chicken stock was homemade and I didn't de-fat it very well. I used hot Italian sausage and added a few Tbsps of pesto because I was out of the Italian seasoning. I also added some hot pepper flakes and about 3 cups of shredded kale. Very forgiving soup - it lets you adjust things as you like. Thank you for posting!
- 1 (12 ounce) package Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 -2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage, drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until done.
- Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.
- Then stir in the broth and mix well.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minute Taste and add salt& pepper as needed.