Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is such a warm and hearty, low carb soup. I would love to give credit for this recipe to my fellow low carbing message board friends.
- 340.19 g package Jimmy Dean sausage
- 118.29 ml onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml italian seasoning
- 236.59-473.18 ml fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 425.24 g can pumpkin
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 118.29 ml water
- Brown sausage, drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until done.
- Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.
- Then stir in the broth and mix well.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minute Taste and add salt& pepper as needed.
Made this last night with a few changes and everyone loved it. It is very thick and rich even without the cream, maybe because I added 1/3 of a can of coconut milk I had leftover from another recipe and my chicken stock was homemade and I didn't de-fat it very well. I used hot Italian sausage and added a few Tbsps of pesto because I was out of the Italian seasoning. I also added some hot pepper flakes and about 3 cups of shredded kale. Very forgiving soup - it lets you adjust things as you like. Thank you for posting!
Absolutely fantastic! I was pretty nervous about making this soup b/c I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin. It isn't overly pumpkin-y though. Everyone that had it at my dinner party wanted the recipe before we even started the next course! It has a great flavour and re-heated great the next day. I Cooked the sausage/onion/garlic/mushrooms the night before to save myself some prep time (was making 5 courses for the party). It was super easy and tasted great. No other changes to the recipe.
This goes straight into my Best of the Best Cookbook! I used hot Italian sausage, home made chicken broth, and a can of 2% evaporated milk instead of cream. Loved it.