Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is such a warm and hearty, low carb soup. I would love to give credit for this recipe to my fellow low carbing message board friends.
- Brown sausage, drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until done.
- Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.
- Then stir in the broth and mix well.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minute Taste and add salt& pepper as needed.
Made this last night with a few changes and everyone loved it. It is very thick and rich even without the cream, maybe because I added 1/3 of a can of coconut milk I had leftover from another recipe and my chicken stock was homemade and I didn't de-fat it very well. I used hot Italian sausage and added a few Tbsps of pesto because I was out of the Italian seasoning. I also added some hot pepper flakes and about 3 cups of shredded kale. Very forgiving soup - it lets you adjust things as you like. Thank you for posting!
This goes straight into my Best of the Best Cookbook! I used hot Italian sausage, home made chicken broth, and a can of 2% evaporated milk instead of cream. Loved it.
VERY GOOD! Quite Spicy the way I made it but we love spicy.
- didn't add the mushrooms
- didn't have Italian Seasoning so made my own using the recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-seasoning-82770
(minus the parsley as didn't have it).
- We don't have Jimmy Dean here. Used hot Italian sausage links and just took the casings off and cooked it crumbled.
- deglazed the pot with a little bit of water.
- added extra onion....about 3/4 cup total
- used 1 cup half and half instead of the cream and water
- added just under 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- added about 1/4 tsp of nutmeg to it and may try a bit more next time for more nutmeg flavour.
- didn't add any salt and pepper. Forgot about it actually until we were 1/2 way through but it didn't need it.
This has become our favourite soup and will definitely be making it again...and again! Thank you for this recipe.