Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you are on South Beach, this can be eaten in Phase 2. Robust in tomato flavor as well as rich and creamy. If you add the meat and/or veggies it also makes for a hearty soup. I also like it because it's so stovetop easy; done in less than 30 minutes. Serve with a tossed salad or veggie.
- 1 (26 ounce) jar no-sugar-added spaghetti sauce (I prefer Hunts no added sugar Italian Baking Sauce or Classico Spicy Red Pepper Spaghetti Sauce)
- 1 cup low-fat milk (I use skim milk)
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- Canadian bacon (low fat or regular) or turkey pepperoni, to your liking
- mushrooms or onions or green pepper (or other pizza toppings, to your liking)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- italian seasoning, to taste
- shredded mozzarella cheese, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Place the first 8 ingredients in a medium dutch oven; heat thoroughly.
- Simmer on low heat until the cream cheese is well blended.
- Remove from heat; serve and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan.
I really enjoyed this! I used my own marinara sauce, fat free cream cheese & skim milk. I added some pizza seasoning & oregano, and additonal onion & minced garlic. I only added some diced turkey pepperoni & used low fat cheeses-might try some turkey bacon next time!! Went very well with my half grilled cheese sandwich :-). Thanks for sharing!
I am so happy I found you and your library of Low Carb recipes. Everytime I go on a recipezaar binge I gain so much weight. Now, I won't have to take a break from Zaar, I'll just make your recipes for a while. What I especially liked about this recipe was the simplicity. The flavors work really great together - it's hard to tell this is "diet" food. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing this and all your low carb recipes!