I have always loved pizza, as does my father, so when we started the Atkins diet recently, we wanted to find some way of eating pizza without breaking our carb budget. We came up with this idea, and to me, it tastes just as good as pizza with a crust! Also, to me, the secret to restaurant-quality pizza, with its unique scent and taste, is oregano. I usually use dried oregano.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups no-sugar-added marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano, plus
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced (any color will do)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted but not browned. Add ground beef, season with pinch of salt and pepper, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, and cook until slightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour all of marinara sauce into the skillet. Add both olives, bell pepper, mushrooms, 1 teaspoon oregano, pinch of salt and pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, and cook until vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer contents of skillet into a large casserole dish. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle top with garlic powder (this will crisp as it bakes and form a nice topping), and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until sauce bubbles at the edge and cheese browns slightly. Enjoy!