Recipe by SF_n8ive
This is a casserole that tastes like a cross between a lasagna and a pizza, yet there is no flour or pasta in this at all! Like most casseroles, it is super easy to make, and a very easy take-along for lunch the next day!
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, washed, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pre-cooked sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (like Niman Ranch's)
- 10 -15 black olives, sliced into small rings (optional)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon no-salt italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese (like Crystal Farms Pizzeria cheese, alternatively, 1 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese)
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the pre-washed and pre-sliced mushrooms into 1/2 inch pieces, and cut the pre-cooked Sweet Italian Sausage into small pieces, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat on the stovetop, and add 1 tablespoons olive oil, the mushrooms, and sausage. Cook until mushrooms are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash, seed, and dice 1/2 of a green bell pepper.
- When mushrooms are soft, add the green bell pepper, and cook an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat and leave in skillet.
- Drain the marinated artichoke hearts, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. If desired, add the sliced black olives to the artichoke hearts in a small bowl until evenly mixed.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 6 eggs and 1/2 cup milk until yolks are well blended.
- Add 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning, and 4 ounces of the tomato sauce, and blend well with a wire whisk.
- Add 1/2 cup of the pizza cheese to the egg, milk, tomato sauce and Italian Seasoning mixture until evenly distributed.
- Combine mushrooms, sausage, bell pepper, artichokes and olives together in the skillet. Pour the mixed ingredients into a pre-greased 9" x 13" glass casserole dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over these ingredients, and fold with a silicone spatula until evenly distributed in casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining 4 ounces of tomato sauce over the top of the casserole, and spread evenly with the silicone spatula.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded pizza cheese over the top of the casserole so it is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.