Recipe by Lise in Indiana
Found on a low-carbing site - haven't tried these yet, but it looked interesting and promising - and flaxseed is SO good for us all, dieting or not.
- 1⁄4 lb butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups erythritol (powdered, not granulated)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup Splenda granular (see note #1)
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9X13 pan.
- Cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add the erythritol to the butter and cream them together until fully combined (aim for a fluffy texture).
- Add the vanilla and beat the eggs into the mixture, one at a time.
- Add salt and cocoa, beat well.
- Add chocolate, beat until fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour into a pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until top springs back.
- You can also test if they're ready by sticking a toothpick in the brownies. If it comes out clean, or almost-so, they're done.
- Cool, then cut into 32 squares.
- If you cheat and eat one warm, know that the texture will be different once completely cool. That's when they become like real brownies. (They are even better the next day.).
- note #1: you may use another artificial sweetener instead of the granular Splenda, just make sure it is the equivalent sweetening power of 1 cup of sugar.
- note #2: powdered erythritol is available here: http://www6.netrition.com/sensato_erythritol.html.