1/1 Photo of Low Carb Mediterranean Stuffed Bell Peppers
Sue Lau's Note:
I like this recipe because it doesn't have rice in it. It is very easy to make and if you like the overall flavor of somelike like gyros with tzatziki, I think you will like this as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 bell peppers (depending on size)
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 medium ripe tomato, chopped
- 5 ounces plain nonfat yogurt (I like thick Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Cut tops out of the green peppers and remove any seeds or membranes.
- 2Blanch peppers for 5 minutes in salted boiling water, or you may place these in a microwave-safe pan, add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 5 minutes on high until softened.
- 3Meanwhile, brown ground meat and onion in oil, add spices.
- 4When meat is almost cooked through, add chopped tomato.
- 5When meat is cooked through, allow to cool slightly then mix in the yogurt and lemon juice.
- 6Place peppers in a baking pan and fill peppers with mixture and top peppers with feta and parmesan cheeses.
- 7Cover baking pan with lid or foil and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.
- 8Remove lid or foil and cook about 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Carb Mediterranean Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.4
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 511.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
macadamia nut oil