I like this recipe because it doesn't have rice in it. It is very easy to make and if you like the overall flavor of somelike like gyros with tzatziki, I think you will like this as well.
- 4 -6 bell peppers (depending on size)
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 medium ripe tomato, chopped
- 5 ounces plain nonfat yogurt (I like thick Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut tops out of the green peppers and remove any seeds or membranes.
- Blanch peppers for 5 minutes in salted boiling water, or you may place these in a microwave-safe pan, add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 5 minutes on high until softened.
- Meanwhile, brown ground meat and onion in oil, add spices.
- When meat is almost cooked through, add chopped tomato.
- When meat is cooked through, allow to cool slightly then mix in the yogurt and lemon juice.
- Place peppers in a baking pan and fill peppers with mixture and top peppers with feta and parmesan cheeses.
- Cover baking pan with lid or foil and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid or foil and cook about 10 minutes more.