This is from Food Network's low carb chef, George Stella, and I found it in Low Carb Living Magazine. I liked these because they rose (I was afraid they wouldn't - I can't even get ordinary muffins to rise!), and the banana extract overshadows the soy flavor, which is a very good thing. These are best fresh out of the oven, but are still good for the first couple of days. The magazine says that each muffin is 8.5 net grams carb & 8.1 grams protein.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray (6 muffin) muffin tin with vegetable oil spray.
- Mix wheat bran and 1 T soy flour, then coat the muffin tin with the mixture (do this step over a trash can!).
- Mix soy flour, Splenda, baking powder, eggs, cream, and banana extract in a large bowl with a wire whisk.
- Whisk in club soda.
- Fold in nuts.
- Fill muffin tins evenly, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, using the toothpick test for doneness.
- The tops will be golden brown, but it is a bit hard to tell by color change since soy flour is dark.