Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb low-carb elbow macaroni (recommend Dreamfields Pasta)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) package beef hot dogs (Can use TOFU PUPS to make this Vegetarian) or 1 (12 ounce) packagepork hot dogs, chopped into 1-inch pieces (Can use TOFU PUPS to make this Vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup low carb beer, 1/3 of a bottle whatever you have on hand
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided (Buy preshredded cheese. You will need 1 1/2 sacks of 10-ounce packages.)
- Boil a large pot of water for macaroni. Salt water and under cook macaroni, cook about 7 minutes until just under al dente in doneness.
- Preheat broiler and set rack 12 inches from heat.
- While pasta works, heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, then add hot dogs and brown on both sides, 4 minutes total. Remove the dogs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, and the butter. When butter melts, cook onions 4 to 5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute. Add beer and cook off completely, 1 minute. Whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, then season the sauce with salt and pepper and stir in the mustard and ketchup. Lower heat and add 2 cups of the cheese. Stir to melt, 1 minute. Adjust mustard, ketchup, and salt and pepper, to your taste.
- Drain pasta well. Combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly then pour into large casserole and top with remaining cheese. Melt and brown cheese under broiler, 2 minutes. Serve.
this is fantastic for a quick meal. i used wine instead of beer and added a cup of chopped broccoli
Absolutely delish! Even though I didn't make the low carb version but used full carb ingredients and powdered mustard instead of the wet mustard. Thanks for sharing--dh said be sure to save this recipe--a keeper for sure!