Recipe by Lise in Indiana
A rich and creamy cheesecake with a sweet nut crust. If you can find liquid Splenda, it saves many carbs in your daily count. Amazon carries EZ-Sweetz. Granular Splenda's carrier will add carbs to this recipe. Most of the prep time is cooling and chilling the cheesecake.
- 4 ounces pecans or 4 ounces almonds
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 12 drops liquid Splenda
- 2 lbs cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon liquid Splenda
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325º (F).Prepare a 8" or 9" springform pan (side attached to bottom) by spraying the bottom and sides with cooking spray.Wrap the outside bottom of the pan with a double thickness of foil to protect the cheesecake when placed in the water bath.
- In a food processor, pulse the nuts with the flax seed meal until finely ground - don't over-process or you'll have nut paste! Add the sweetener and the butter and pulse a few times to combine well. Evenly press nut mixture in bottom of prepared springform pan. Bake crust for 8 to 10 minutes, till fragrant, then cool slightly. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- In a 2 quart bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until it is very smooth. Add the liquid Splenda and beat well, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Add the eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each one, scraping the bowl occasionally. Beat in the sour cream.
- Add the vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest and beat well. Pour filling into the cooling crust.
- Place a large roasting pan on the oven rack, then carefully place the foiled springform pan in roasting pan. Carefully pour about 8 cups of very hot water into the roasting pan, until it reaches two or three inches along the side of the springform pan. This is your Bain Marie or water bath.
- Bake the cheesecake for 1 hour, reduce heat to 250º and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, till firm. Turn off the oven and prop the oven door open and allow cheesecake to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove cheesecake from oven, run a sharp knife around sides of the pan (but do not remove sides yet) and cool on a rack for another hour.
- Loosen the side of the springform pan and carefully remove it. Chill at least 4 hours. When chilled, cut into 12 slices.