Recipe by moot0009
This is a great "mix it up with whatever you've got" recipe. I like lemon the best but it would work with orange as well (or orange cranberry), lime, or I guess even grapefruit (the whole citrus family). The carbs are relatively low too (if you aren't concerned, by all means, use sugar)! The batter seems like a stiff cookie dough before you mix in the egg whites, so don't let that throw you off. It works out and it's delicious!
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 large lemon, zest from (the amount depends on how much lemon flavor you want- from 1 tsp to one 1 tbsp)
- 1 large lemon, juiced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners or grease it (whichever you prefer).
- Seperate eggs. Place yolks aside until step 5.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, and place aside until end.
- Cream butter and splenda and/or sugar.
- Add in yolks, beating well after each.
- Zest lemon, then juice (don't let any seeds into the bowl!) and mix inches
- Sift in flour, baking powder and salt. The dough will be thick and sticky.
- Fold in the egg whites. It will seem impossible as first, but keep at it!
- Drop (push) into muffin cups by heaping tablespoons full. Bake 15-20 minutes.