Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great recipe for those looking for an Atkins Phase 1 recipe, or for people looking to cut down on carbs. Easy to make and delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek, green and white, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh herb
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Sautee leeks, onion and garlic until soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add water, herbs (if desired) and bouillon.
- Simmer on low for 30-40 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender or blender.
- Mix in whipping cream, cheese, and salt and pepper (if desired).
- Stir until melted.
I don't know what possessed me to make hot soup on the last day of June. I did have some leftover leeks I wanted to use up. Boy, did this smell wonderful while it was cooking, though. I really didn't change anything much about the recipe. I added some dill, which was fine. I also mixed several kinds of grated cheese, and I think it would have been better and had a bit more flavor with something like parmesan or very sharp cheddar. Nice recipe, Jen.
Easy and great recipe