Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Taken from THE 7 - DAY LOW-CARB RESCUE AND RECOVERY PLAN book..
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 3 portabella mushrooms, sliced thin horizontally
- 8 ounces spinach, steamed (or other low carb veggie)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Brown the meat in 2 TBLS of olive oil.
- When the meat is nearly done, add the onion and green pepper and saute until the onion softens.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until the onions brown.
- Add the oregano and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg and the ricotta together.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease loaf pan with olive oil. Spread 1/2 the meat mixture in the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of portobello mushrooms followed by a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with spinach (or other vegetable), then a layer using 1/2 the cheeses.
- Cover with the remaining meat mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 325F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove when the meat thoroughly cooked and the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.