Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A rich-tasting traditional lasagna, except for the pasta! Use 3 low-carb tortillas in place of the noodles - just don't forget to add the tortillas' carb count to this total.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 drops liquid Splenda
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- grated parmesan cheese, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray an 7" round (2" deep) cake pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray. I use a 7" spring form pan.
- In a heavy skillet, brown the ground beef, stirring to break it up, until no longer pink. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, the seasonings, and the sweetener.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta with the egg, the Parmesan, pepper, and the parsley.
- Assemble lasagna : Trim 3 low-carb tortillas to 7" circles, to fit into the pan, if necessary.
- Spread a spoonful of meat sauce in the bottom of the pan. Lay one tortilla in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Reserve 1/4 cup meat sauce, then use half of the remaining sauce to cover the tortilla.
- Dollop half of the ricotta mixture over the meat sauce.
- Reserve a couple tablespoons of mozzarella for the top. Sprinkle half of the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese over the ricotta.
- Top with a second low-carb tortilla, and repeat the layering: meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella.
- Top with a third low-carb tortilla. Spread with the reserved meat sauce and sprinkle with the reserved mozzarella and with additional grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 to 25 additional minutes, till bubbly hot.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut into four wedges and serve.
- If you use a 3 net carb tortilla, each serving is about 9 net carbs.
Found this a great alternative to "real" lasangna. It was such a treat to eat. My 19 year old son enjoyed it just as much as I did. When I asked him what he thought, he said yummy!