Recipe by cckarl
I really enjoy the results of the South Beach Diet, but there's only so long I can take eating cheese, meats or salads, sometimes you just need something sweet - and not another Jell-O cup. The consistency of the filling of this dish is so thick and flavorful, you won't know it's a substitute and with some borrowed tips from member, CinLin, for the low carb crust plus a few added twists, you won't even miss the graham cracker crust. You can also mix up the flavorings for both the filling and the crust to create a lemon cheesecake, a chocolate mousse pie, or whatever you're craving! Additionally, please note I erred on the side of smaller servings, so if you have more than two mouths to feed, I would double the recipe.
Top Review by KathyP53
I reduce the amount of cream cheese and add a cup of (thawed) frozen whipped topping folded into my lime filling and don't bother with baking the almond crust at all. It holds together and is delicious.
- 1 (3 ounce) box sugar-free lime gelatin (I only use 1/2)
- 1 (8 ounce) box neufchatel cheese (softened)
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 cup unblanched sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 g Splenda sugar substitute (or 2 individual packets)
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free Cool Whip
- 1 lime (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with the crust.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor add the cup of raw almonds, pulse until it is the size of sand granules (not too fine!).
- Add in the 2 packets of Splenda and the 4 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Pulse until it is well mixed and a workable paste.
- Spray a small, square baking dish (I actually prefer a metal pan as it has the tendency to crisp the nuts better) with cooking spray and with a spatula, add in the mixture and pat until evenly spread.
- Put in oven for 10-12 minutes; broil on top for another 1-2 minutes. Be careful that it doesn't burn; it should be a toasted brown.
- Once done, take out of oven and put in the freezer.
- For the filling:.
- In a food processor, add 1/2 package of lime Jell-O; follow the directions on the box and then pulse in the food processor until well mixed.
- Add in 1 juice of lime as well as some zest from the peel.
- Add in the softened Neufchatel cheese.
- Pulse until well-mixed, should be a thick liquid mixture.
- Add the filling on to your crust and smooth until even.
- I prefer to put it back into the freezer for about 1 hour and then either enjoy as a frozen treat or take it out for a few minutes to soften, but you can also just put it in the fridge for a few hours to set.
- Garnish with sliced lime and sugar-free cool whip and serve!
- (You can also substitute the lime Jell-O for lemon Jell-O for a cheesecake variation or chocolate Jell-O pudding for a chocolate mousse pie--minus the lime, of course).