Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great substiute for the 'real' thing. My weight loss support group was mourning the loss of their favorite dessert so I came up with this low carb version.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) box sugar-free lime gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 6 packets of splenda artificial sweetener
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup very cold water
- Soften cream cheese in mixing bowl (you can nuke it on medium in the microwave for about 2 minutes), Blend in lime juice and Splenda.
- In a separate bowl, stir the boiling water into the Jello until it is completely dissolved.
- SLOWLY blend Jello mixture with the cream cheese mixture until blended.
- Add the cold water and the lime zest immediately and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into pie pan and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Cut into eight slices and serve with a dollop of Reddi Whip.
Made this for the family and they liked it, but weren't raving. I didn't think it tasted anything like Key Lime Pie, although the taste was fairly pleasant. I also added 8 packets of Splenda, not six, and was glad, because it wasn't overly sweet.
Made it for supper and I could really taste salt in the cream cheese. The next day I took it to work and it was GREAT. If I were to make it again I would make it the day before serving.
This was really good & easy to make. It tastes like it would be more "sinful" for an Atkin's follower, but not. I also tried this with strawberry jello instead, omitting the lime zest & lime juice & it was still really good. I believe I'll experiment with this recipe further & with more jello flavors.