Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was craving poppers but didn't want super greasy bacon or high carb breading so I invented these... Sometimes instead of the garlic powder and seasoning salt, I use 2 tsp of a product called Johnny's Garlic Spread Seasoning which is just awesome - I buy it at Costco here in Canada. The number of jalapenos varies depending on the size you get and how much spread you put inside each half! Tried it with fat-free cream cheese and it just didn't have a good texture. Have also used shredded taco cheese blend right out of the freezer instead of plain cheddar!
- 8 jalapenos
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the top of each jalapeno and cut in half lengthwise, then remove the veins and seeds and put aside. Cut each slice of proscuitto in half.
- Mix together the cream cheese, seasonings, and cheddar.
- Fill each jalapeno half with cream cheese mixture and wrap with half a slice of proscuitto, making sure that you fold it over the cut off top end so that the cream cheese mixture can't escape!
- Put on baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes, until the proscuitto is crispy then serve!
Yum! I used Johnny's seasoning and these vanished. I also made a batch with poblanos, more of a light meal size than an appetizer. Thanks for a great recipe. Lille, a fellow Calgary RZ fan
This is a great alternative for a healthier appy. I switched the prosciutto with lean ham slices and I substituted Fat Free Herb & Garlic cream cheese for the remaining ingredients. Simpler and still flavorful. Thanks for the idea!