1 hr 5 mins
I had a lot of success on low carb diets and love the fact that I can still curb a craving with something else that is low carb friendly. One night my guy was eating a huge plate of spaghetti (I know cruel!) and of course, pasta is the kiss of death for my diet. So, I just whipped up this recipe below and it actually turned out really good. Just wanted to share with other low carb dieters out there, I hope the measurements are what I remember, if not, adjust to your liking! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (varies depending on your taste)
- 1/4 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 tablespoon basil
- 0.5 (1 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute, half packet (again this varies on taste, I like my tomato sauces sweet)
- 1 dash pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2In large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- 3Add chopped garlic and continue to stir until garlic is soft.
- 4Add can of tomatoes and remaining sauce ingredients until combined.
- 5Lower heat and simmer uncovered for approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on how chunky you prefer your sauces.
- 6Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- 7Add onions and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Lower heat to low and cover for 10 minutes. Occasionally check on the onions so the onions do not burn; you want the onions to be a soft, and slightly caramelized.
- 9Once onions are soft, add mushrooms.
- 10Stir until mushrooms are browned and incorporated with the onions.
- 11Spray a 1 quart casserole dish or a 4 cup round pyrex with cooking spray.
- 12Add 1/3 of the sauce to bottom of dish.
- 13Layer half of mushroom-onion mixture over sauce.
- 14Sprinkle with half the parmesan cheese.
- 15Layer half of the sliced sausage or 1 cup ground beef.
- 16Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzerella cheese.
- 17Add 1/3 of the sauce.
- 18Add the rest of mushroom-onion mixture.
- 19Add the rest of parmesan cheese.
- 20Layer remaining meat.
- 21Sprinkle 1/3 cup of mozzerella cheese.
- 22Pour remaining sauce over cheese.
- 23Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of mozz. cheese.
- 24Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- 25Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- 26Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- 27Serves 2; excellent with a side of sauteed spinach.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Carb Italian Bake
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.0
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 102.5 mg
- Sodium 1857.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 36.4 g