Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I had a lot of success on low carb diets and love the fact that I can still curb a craving with something else that is low carb friendly. One night my guy was eating a huge plate of spaghetti (I know cruel!) and of course, pasta is the kiss of death for my diet. So, I just whipped up this recipe below and it actually turned out really good. Just wanted to share with other low carb dieters out there, I hope the measurements are what I remember, if not, adjust to your liking! Enjoy!
- 1 (10 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (varies depending on your taste)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄4 tablespoon basil
- 0.5 (1 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute, half packet (again this varies on taste, I like my tomato sauces sweet)
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 links of cooked hot Italian sausage, cut into thin slices (or you may substitute 2 cups of cooked ground beef)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (fresh is highly recommended)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic and continue to stir until garlic is soft.
- Add can of tomatoes and remaining sauce ingredients until combined.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered for approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on how chunky you prefer your sauces.
- Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to low and cover for 10 minutes. Occasionally check on the onions so the onions do not burn; you want the onions to be a soft, and slightly caramelized.
- Once onions are soft, add mushrooms.
- Stir until mushrooms are browned and incorporated with the onions.
- Spray a 1 quart casserole dish or a 4 cup round pyrex with cooking spray.
- Add 1/3 of the sauce to bottom of dish.
- Layer half of mushroom-onion mixture over sauce.
- Sprinkle with half the parmesan cheese.
- Layer half of the sliced sausage or 1 cup ground beef.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzerella cheese.
- Add 1/3 of the sauce.
- Add the rest of mushroom-onion mixture.
- Add the rest of parmesan cheese.
- Layer remaining meat.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of mozzerella cheese.
- Pour remaining sauce over cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of mozz. cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 2; excellent with a side of sauteed spinach.