Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food for the low-carber. I've been on the SBD for 7 months. My DH began it two weeks ago. I needed to come up with some new recipe ideas to keep him motivated!
- 3 Italian sausages
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 1 egg
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 2 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casing, brown and drain.
- Layer sausage mixed with 1 cup mozzarella onto bottom of lightly greased quiche pan.
- Thaw and drain spinach.
- In mixing bowl, scramble egg and add ricotta, spinach, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Layer ricotta cheese mixture over sausage mixture.
- Place sliced tomatoes and mushrooms over top and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Let set for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
I was looking for a new low carb meal to try and this was very good. I only put the mushrooms on half of this for my picky kid who dislikes mushrooms. I also used 4 Italian sausages in this and I spread it out into a 9X13 baking dish. That made it spread out kind of thin so it heated up more quickly. It was done after 20 minutes. Tasted good and was easy to make!
I'm giving this 5 stars because everyone loved it, a rarity in my picky family. I used 5 hot Italian sausages and a little extra mushrooms (about 4 ounces, I'd say.) I would like to try this with some bell pepper next time. Thanks for the recipe.
Very good. We used frsh spinach that we steamed in the microwave. We also used turky italian sausage and did 10 oz of it so ours was really filling. I will make this again.