Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food for the low-carber. I've been on the SBD for 7 months. My DH began it two weeks ago. I needed to come up with some new recipe ideas to keep him motivated!
- 3 Italian sausages
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 1 egg
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 2 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casing, brown and drain.
- Layer sausage mixed with 1 cup mozzarella onto bottom of lightly greased quiche pan.
- Thaw and drain spinach.
- In mixing bowl, scramble egg and add ricotta, spinach, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Layer ricotta cheese mixture over sausage mixture.
- Place sliced tomatoes and mushrooms over top and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Let set for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
Made this exactly as directed. Didn't change a thing. Hubby was bored with it and gave me a "Meh" response when I asked him if he liked it. I just thought it tasted bad. The sausage part was good because I used hot italian but the ricotta spinach mixture just tasted awful. The only good thing about this meal was that my blood sugar did not spike after dinner but stayed around normal. However I will continue my search for good tasting low carb meals and won't be repeating this one.
I was looking for a new low carb meal to try and this was very good. I only put the mushrooms on half of this for my picky kid who dislikes mushrooms. I also used 4 Italian sausages in this and I spread it out into a 9X13 baking dish. That made it spread out kind of thin so it heated up more quickly. It was done after 20 minutes. Tasted good and was easy to make!
I'm giving this 5 stars because everyone loved it, a rarity in my picky family. I used 5 hot Italian sausages and a little extra mushrooms (about 4 ounces, I'd say.) I would like to try this with some bell pepper next time. Thanks for the recipe.