The main thing I miss when low carbing is a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs. This soup does the trick for me!
- 1 lb frozen meatballs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 28 ounces ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup zucchini (diced)
- 1 cup mushroom (diced)
- 1⁄2 green pepper (diced)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Finely chop onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in food processor.
- Sautée vegetable mixture in olive oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add basil, oregano and marjoram. continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
- Stir in meatballs, diced zucchini, mushrooms, and green pepper.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
- Garnish each serving of soup with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Can't wait to have this for lunch this week! I made chicken meatballs to use in place of the frozen ones, and I left the veggies a bit chunkier. Other than that, I didn't change anything, and it's fantastic. Made for PAC Spring 2007. Thanks for a great recipe!
My husband called this soup "awesome!" This was actually quite delicious - it really did taste like a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs! The Italian spices gave it a great flavor, and is was so hearty and filling! All of the lovely vegetables gave it a healthy feel, and it is such a unique and different soup - perfect for a cool night! The only changes I made was to omit the zucchini (only becuase I did not have any on hand). I also mixed up the spices a bit (I did not have any oregano, so I substituted a pizza seasoning, and I added several dashes of hot sauce, some pepper, and some seasoned salt). Next time I may use diced tomatoes with green chiles, which I think would be a great touch - but, needless to say, there will be a next time...and a next and a next! :-)Great recipe - thanks!