Recipe by Not-2-Sweet
While enduring the Atkin's Induction phase of the Atkin's diet. I was DYING for a Halo Burger, a local burger chain's yummy burger. They do offer the "bunless burger" but I hate those things.. they are difficult to eat and the flavors don't quite meld like the real burger in the bun does. But eating it in a salad makes a world of difference.. I didn't miss the bun at all, plus I'm not advertising that I'm doing the atkins this way.. just looks as if I like salad.Measurements aren't exact..it's just a salad, you can't really mess it up. Feel free to add shredded cheese, bacon, sliced green olives, or whatever you like on your burgers. This is just the way that I like mine. I will be suggesting this to Halo burger as a menu item. Note..if you are craving a Whopper,add liquid smoke to the meat, substitute low carb catsup for the mustard. Craving a Big Mac? Omit tomato, sub onions with dried chopped onion soaked in warm water and use low carb thousand island dressing.
Top Review by rpgaymer
I was very skeptical about this recipe, but I had to try it to see if it really tasted like a burger. It does, surprisingly- I'm impressed. I made the mustard-mayo dressing, but did not like it so I just drizzled ketchup and yellow mustard over this. I think the combination of ketchup, mustard, and pickles really made it taste like a traditional burger.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 20 hamburger dill pickle slices (coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (more or less)
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onions with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until cooked through.
- Toss while hot with lettuce, tomato and pickles. You want the lettuce to slightly wilt.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo and mustard, then thin it out with heavy cream until thin enough to pour.
- Stir dressing into salad mixing everything together well.
- This salad tasted best when ingredients are warm or at least room temperature I sometimes heat for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Be sure to adapt ingredients to include your favorite hamburger toppings.