Recipe by Siobhan M
This is my variation of a recipe for TVP "Oatmeal" that I found on About.com. I've added a few things, and it contains a grand total of 10 net grams of carbohydrates, 12 grams of fiber. And it's really good stuff!
Top Review by brokenburner
This was my first time using TVP, and I think it worked out pretty well! For some reason I didn't realize it said to use three packets of Splenda -- I only used one, and I can agree that it needed some more sweetness! I skipped the butter and cream, and I used a bit less than a cup of water instead of milk. I added cinnamon and some banana slices. It was an interesting change from oatmeal, but 1/2 cup makes a LOT -- half that amount would have been plenty for one person! Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein ((TVP))
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 3 packets Splenda sugar substitute
- cinnamon (optional)
- nutmeg (optional)
- sugar-free maple syrup (optional)
- 1 whole vanilla beans (optional) or 1 whole ground vanilla bean (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put TVP and soy milk in a 1 qt bowl, microwave on High for 3 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap, let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add water if needed.
- Reheat with 1 minute in the microwave on High.
- Add remaining ingredients and any optional additions that you'd like.
- Stir until butter is melted.