Recipe by Nana Lee
While almond butter can be made from raw nuts, roasting the nuts just prior to making the butter considerably enhances both flavor and aroma. Directions for roasting are below.
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon unrefined vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To roast the almonds:.
- Spread them in a thin layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 300ºF for about 20 minutes.
- Stir a couple of times to assure even roasting.
- Making the butter:.
- Combine the almonds and salt in a food processor, blender, meat grinder or nut butter machine and process until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the oil and continue processing until the almond butter reaches your desired degree of smoothness, adding more oil if necessary.
- For chunky butter, stir in 1/4 cup chopped almonds. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
- Substitute Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts for the almonds.
- Or combine two or more of these nuts in any proportion.