Recipe by Glitterhoof
These healthy little muffins have no sugar added. They're a great healthy snack but don't expect a sweet cakey treat. They're a great way to get extra fiber and protein into your diet without too many added calories or carbs. To sweeten them you can add some jam or peanut butter when you eat it. You can also add dried cranberries or other fruit or use sweetned yogurt or 1/4 of honey. Because there's no flour these don't rise that much. The cream of tartar and baking soda can be substituted with 1 tablespoon baking powder.
- 2 cups flax seed meal
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt (use vanilla yogurt for more sweetness and flavour if you like)
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, stir and make a well in the middle.
- In a different bowl combine all wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into well in dry ingredients. Stir to combine, but don't over mix. Batter will be lumpy.
- Divide equally into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes then remove muffins and place on cooling rack.