Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This one is an A+ for sure! You'll never believe you're eating low carb! Taken from better homes and gardens low carb phase 1 cookbook. cook time depends on which setting you use on your slow cooker. I am using the longest time on low, so those who work can do it early and cook it all day, and come home to the wonderful smells of supper! Its 7 hours on low, or 3 1/2 hours on high.
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot
- Combine caraway seeds, marjoram, salt and pepper. sprinkle mixture over all sides of meat. Rub this into the roast with your fingers.
- In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil.
- Drain off fat. Place meat in slow cooker.
- Add water to skillet; bring to boiling, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Pour skillet juices and vinegar into cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 7 hours or high heat for 3/1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. Remove meat from cooker, and keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from juices; measure 1/1/4 cups juices (add water if necessary to make 1 1/4 cups). Pour juices into a small saucepan; bring to boiling.
- In a medium bowl combine sour cream and arrowroot. Stir hot juices into sour cream mixture; return to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened. (Do not boil). Slice meat and serve with gravy.
This was awesome, i didn't have arrow root so i just omitted it. It was still great.
I've made this 3 times so far, love it!
WOW! This deserves 10 STARS! Love the caraway. And the gravy is delicious. Cooked perfectly and the house smelled great while it was cooking. Will be having this again! Made for Best of 2011 game.