Recipe by Batman's Chef
I created this low carb enchilada casserole last night because my husband and I both LOVE Mexican Food and we're trying to stay on Atkins. We used homemade enchilada sauce. Next time I'll try it with chicken. We both loved it.
Top Review by Danny's Wife :D
It sounds odd, but the use of eggplant in this recipe is genious! It was a delight! We are low carb dieting, so this was a great find! I prepared the recipe as directed and casserole turned out great. We served with some lettuce and sour cream. My DH was skeptical, but he had seconds and fought for the leftovers a few nights later. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to slice the eggplant or cube, I ended up cubing and roasting. Turned out great! Will be making again and again! Thanks for the great recipe Batman's Chef!! Would love to see more low carb recipe creations from you :)
- 2 small eggplants or 2 medium eggplants
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 -8 ounces enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash and peel eggplant.
- Cut eggplant into 1/4" pieces.
- Brush eggplant pieces with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant on baking sheets in oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cook ground beef in stovetop skillet with onion, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from skillet and drain.
- Turn oven down to 350.
- To assemble casserole, oil a 9x9 baking dish and place a layer of eggplant in the dish. Spread 1/2 the ground beef over the eggplant and spread 1/2 the enchilada sauce over the ground beef. Spread 1/2 the sour cream over the ground beef. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese over the top. Repeat steps with remaining eggplant, ground beef, sauce, sour cream and cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.