Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this low carb enchilada casserole last night because my husband and I both LOVE Mexican Food and we're trying to stay on Atkins. We used homemade enchilada sauce. Next time I'll try it with chicken. We both loved it.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash and peel eggplant.
- Cut eggplant into 1/4" pieces.
- Brush eggplant pieces with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant on baking sheets in oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cook ground beef in stovetop skillet with onion, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from skillet and drain.
- Turn oven down to 350.
- To assemble casserole, oil a 9x9 baking dish and place a layer of eggplant in the dish. Spread 1/2 the ground beef over the eggplant and spread 1/2 the enchilada sauce over the ground beef. Spread 1/2 the sour cream over the ground beef. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese over the top. Repeat steps with remaining eggplant, ground beef, sauce, sour cream and cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
It sounds odd, but the use of eggplant in this recipe is genious! It was a delight! We are low carb dieting, so this was a great find! I prepared the recipe as directed and casserole turned out great. We served with some lettuce and sour cream. My DH was skeptical, but he had seconds and fought for the leftovers a few nights later. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to slice the eggplant or cube, I ended up cubing and roasting. Turned out great! Will be making again and again! Thanks for the great recipe Batman's Chef!! Would love to see more low carb recipe creations from you :)
We are eggplant lovers so I was quite surprised to find the combination of eggplant and enchilada sauce - but it works! This dish was really tasty and filling. Will definitely make this dish again. Made for Spring PAC, May, 2014.
I have never eaten eggplant but was looking to add to my low-carb recipes. I made this yesterday and it looked a little runny but reheated very well and is delicious!