Recipe by Miss Annie in Indy
Low Carb "Doughnut" Muffins from Laura Dolson, your Guide to Low Carb Diets. These muffins are meant to taste like doughnuts. I found this recipe on a low carb site.
Top Review by Lou
I tried this one, and was disappointed because of the title. It is misleading as the muffins do NOT taste like doughnuts in any way, shape or form. That being said, it is an aceptable recipe for low carb almond muffins. We cut them in half, buttered them, and added sugar and cinnamon and they worked well for breakfast. Therefore, the 3 stars.
- 1 cup flax seed
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup artificial sweetener (I use about 1/3 cup but am writing the recipe as written)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (again about 1/3 cup)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, plus
- 2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup powder Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter muffins pan.
- Mix flax meal, almond meal, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and sweetner well (If using dry sweetner add in this step, if using liquid sweetner add in next step).
- Add eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, buttermilk and sweetner.
- Mix well.
- Fill muffin cups a bit over half way.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool until you can handle them, then dip the tops in the remaining melted butter followed by the splenda/cinnamon mixture.
- Note: The last step can be omitted altogether as they are quite sweet enough.