Recipe by The Domestic Diva
We are on the South Beach Diet and my mother loves stew so this is my version of low carb diet soup.
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) cherry tomatoes (small container, fresh) or 1 (8 ounce) grape tomatoes (small container, fresh)
- 1 medium yellow squash (do not peel, chunk)
- 1 medium zucchini (do not peel, chunk)
- 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1⁄2-1 whole red onion
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (chopped or diced)
- 1 lb stew meat (or leftover roast)
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) beef broth (Cambpell's can of soup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown your stew meat in skillet.
- When all four sides are brown, transfer the entire contents to dutch oven (large pot).
- Begin adding your veggies and stir occasionally. Go ahead and add your Campbell's soup. Continue cutting veggies and adding them to your stew. Wash your container of tomatoes and then add to stew -- no cutting or chopping needed, add whole tomatoes. Once everything has been added, add your tomato juice. Add approximately two cups of water and cook on medium low for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- If you would like to spice this up a bit you can add two bay leaves or hot sauce. I do not add anything because of my mother's health and diet, no salt, no pepper, etc., but cetainly you could. There is no right or wrong way to make this. I have added leftover red beans if I have them cooked and on hand. It's simple, keep it low carb and add any low carb veggies you like and eliminate anything on this list that you don't like. This is fast easy and healthy and we really like it. We have been on the South Beach diet for about two months, so this is a great filler. I was on a plateau until I began making and eating this soup. Don't know if the soup had an affect or not, but something is definitely working. 10 more pounds to go.