Recipe by Mercy
The crust needs to be made ahead so that it has time to chill.
Top Review by toofpika
This recipe has preserved my sanity! (well, what was left of it!). The crust is wonderful, and so versatile. It is flexible enough that I plan to try to use it as a mock flatbread for a wrap sandwich, and I want to make one in a round pan to use as a crust for a quiche as well. Tonight, I am going to make it with sharp cheddar instead of mozzerella, and I will use a large glass as a cookie cutter to cut about 6 circles out of it to use as hamburger "buns". I love this recipe!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano or 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces Italian cheese blend or 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- garlic powder, to sprinkle on top
- assorted pizza toppings (pepperoni, ham, sausage, 4 ounce can mushrooms, green peppers, bacon, ground beef, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk in eggs until mixture is well-blended and smooth.
- Add the Parmesan and seasonings, then stir in the 8 ounces of mozzarella until completely moistened.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly in a well-greased 9"x13" glass baking dish or lightly greased and lined with parchment paper (see note below).
- Bake at 375ºF for 20 to 25 minutes or until evenly browned, but not too dark; let cool completely on a wire rack.
- When nearly cooled, take a metal spatula and carefully pry up the edges to loosen from pan.
- Ease the spatula under the whole crust to loosen.
- Keep crust in the pan; this makes it easier to remove the finished pizza later.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, until shortly before serving time (this dries out the crust and makes it crisper).
- Spread chilled crust with pizza sauce, then cheese and toppings of your choice (pepperoni, ham, sausage, 4 ounce can mushrooms, green peppers, bacon, ground beef, etc).
- Lightly sprinkle with garlic powder and bake at 375ºF about 15 to 20 minutes or until toppings are bubbly.
- Let stand a few minutes before cutting.