Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an adaptation of the recipe available in the Atkins cookbook. Having had poor luck with it the first time around, and with no vanilla bean on hand, I changed a few things around to see how they worked out.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 (1 g) packets sugar substitute
- 1⁄8 cup almond liqueur
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Bring cheeses to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients on high for 90 seconds to three minutes. Eyeball the mixture to make sure there are no chunks of cheese. (The cookbook calls for a blender to be used for 15 minutes.).
- The original recipe calls for the use of a springform pan; failing that, use an 8" x 8" metal pan (as you might use for cakes or brownies). In either case, the pan you use will have to be put in a larger pan or dish that will function as a bain-marie.
- Get some water on the boil.
- Place the baking pan into the dish/pan-cum-bain-marie WITHOUT water and pour the cheesecake mixture into the baking pan.
- Add the hot/boiling water to the larger vessel.
- Place at or near the center rack.
- Bake for one hour.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake inside it for an hour more.
Let me first start by saying I am an inexperienced baker/chef...therefore I need things to be as simple as possible while I get my feet wet in the baking department. I LOVE THIS RECIPE! Simple to read and adapt! My first cheesecake using this recipe came out fantastic! Delicious taste and perfect texture! I will use this recipe time and time again! & best of all this recipe fits my low carb lifestyle!