Recipe by Weewah
This is a small recipe because I don't want a lot of leftovers. Get good sized zucchini's, not the super small ones or you won't have enough slices. I cut mine w/ an electric slicer. To slice by hand, cut a flat side for each squash to rest on, so it will be stable, then make the lengthwise slices - at least 1/4" thick. I added sriracha brand hot sauce to the cream sauce but food.com doesn't recognize it as an ingredient so I couldn't list it. I used the JD sausage 'cause I really love it, and am tired of ground beef. It worked very well. Adding thin sliced black or calamata olives, pre-sweated mushrooms, or even chopped spinach or broccoli would be great flavor variations, but of course add they would push up the carb count.
- 0.5 (14 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg, separated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 lb Jimmy Dean sausage or 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 small onion, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 4 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into thin slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, equally divided
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, plus a little to sprinkle on top
- nonstick cooking spray
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes in a small saucepan with the garlic and spices and bring to a boil.
- Separate the egg and whisk the yolk with the cream,.
- When the juice of the tomatoes has reduced, stir in the cream and quickly heat through before turning heat to low. Let it simmer on a back burner till thickened, but don't let it boil. Season with salt and sriracha to taste and stir occasionally.
- Brown the sausage and onions in a medium skillet and set them aside in a bowl.
- Salt the zucchini slices (to help remove some water) and sear them on both sides,briefly on high heat, using the sausage pan.
- While searing, grate mozzarella and thinly slice the cold cream cheese.
- Spray a loaf pan with with some nonstick spray, and place a layer of seared zucchini 'noodles' in the bottom of the pan.
- Lightly beat egg white with a fork and toss it with the meat and onions before placing them in the loaf pan.
- Place the cream cheese slices on top of the meat layer and sprinkle on 3/4 cup of mozzarella, then the 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Pour the tomato/cream sauce over the cheeses and smooth it with the back of a spoon.
- Cover the sauce with another layer of zucchini.
- Spread remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella over all and sprinkle parmesan, to taste.
- I like to top with granulated garlic and oregano because it makes the entire house smell good.
- Bake at 375 degrees till brown and bubbly and let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting, to to allow it to set.