Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is adapted from Dr. Atkin's New Diet Cookbook. Mushrooms in a creamy broth, comfort food at it's finest!
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart beef stock
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced chives (or scallions)
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in half of the butter for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix the beef and chicken stock; add mushrooms and onions. Add toasted sesame seeds and remaining butter; heat, stirring, until butter melts. Add salt. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Stir in heavy cream. Do not allow to boil.
- Serve warm or cold, garnished with chives. Add pepper as desired. Enjoy!
I'm a huge fan of shiitake mushrooms and I loved this soup! I made this as written, but couldn't bring myself to use 1/4 pound of butter, so I only used 3 tbsp total. It was still rich and creamy. The fresh chives are a wonderful garnish. I also splashed a little rice vinegar on top of mine when I put the soup in the bowl. Yummy! Thanx for sharing!
My 11 year old son has decided that he loves mushrooms (cool!) and wanted to make me some soup when I was recently sick. He did a great job making this...DH and I really enjoyed it! We lightened it up a bit, used evaporated milk instead of half and half; also cut out the butter...I know...I know. We used portabello and button mushrooms. Thanks for sharing!
DEEEEELISH!!! I used portabello shrooms, beef/chicken/veggie broth mix and wasn't expecting it to be so good. Love soup on Atkins, it's easy and filling : ) Thanks for Sharing!